cameo continued


This is a preliminary image of the latest piece in my cameo series.

After silhouettes became a part of my design palatte, my research lead me to discover the great and moving work of Kara Walker (look her up!).
I also took a History of Photography class, taught by KU professor John Pultz, where I learned much about how mankind's desire to capture the exact, physical lines of their loved ones lead to the invention of silhouette machines.

Prof. Pultz was kind enough to let the graduate students do extra projects in place of the exams. For my replacement project I made a brooch series inspired by the photograph's history.
In the series I used a photo that was taken of my paternal grandmother, Anna Maye when she was teaching grade school in Austin, TX.
First as a silhouette.
Second in color with facial details. (ink & watercolor on mylar)
Thirdly in a photomontage with part of the original photo and a photo of the live oak in her front lawn.
All of the brooches are made of silver, copper, & plastic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a new vocab for a new world

in service for: MOPS

PRIMORDIAL & WARRIOR earrings available